Thursday, June 23, 2011

When All Else Fails...Tie a 'Ck Special'


Will James
After the last post of our fishing trip to the Jackson, I dug through a box of old fishing books.  I found an article published in a 1971 Field and Stream
magazine.  Chuck Kraft is a local fly fishermen who has, in my eyes, perfected the art.  I first heard about Mr. Kraft from my father who lent a hand stocking trout in the Sugar Hollow Reservoir in the '70's.  Chuck would volunteer stocking efforts for the DGIF.  He also ran a very successful outfit; mainly known for his guiding services on the Jackson which were unfortunately extinguished by the landowners in the late '90's (see link @ bottom)  There are a select few that know Chuck for an ingenious fly creation.  The Ck Special is a simple nymph but with detrimental effects on trout.  I know a handful of old-timers in the area who have caught more fish on this single fly than any other lure or bait combined.  Fortunately, they have passed down recipe to me.  If you're into tying flies, I would highly suggest adding this one to the box.  Otherwise...they're hard to find.

Ingredients:
     No. 8 or 10, 2X long hook
     .025 lead
     Black or Gray Flat Waxed Nylon
     Black or Gray Dubbing
     Lemon Wood Duck (tail)
     Grizzly Hackle (clipped)
  
Click here to check out the 1971 Field and Stream article featuring the Ck Special
(Navigate to page 34, continued on 181: "Deadly Anytime, Anywhere")

To read an article regarding the situation and outcome of Chuck Kraft's battle over guiding the Jackson
Click Here.  I find it very intriguing how a law established in the 1700's by King George held up in court...

No comments:

Post a Comment