Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Something Special About the Jackson

Even though trout fishing is my top pick, I have never fished the "real" trout waters of the western states.  Growing up, I lived on property which the Moorman's River runs through.  In the mid-90's, Trout Unlimited started a fly fishing only program on our section of the river.  Stocking Rainbows every couple of weeks.  I figured this was the best Virginia had to offer.  After hearing about the Jackson years ago, Martin and I gave it a shot.  It was the dead of summer, water levels in mild drought conditions, we caught 30 or so big, healthy Browns.  Even though we've never topped that trip, it seems to be my goto spot.

Last minute Friday evening, we decided to hit the Special Reg. section of the Jackson for a short, half day trip.  Arriving clearly after the morning hatch, we fished hard for every fish.  My hatch-matching abilities are about as sharp as a butter knife.  The first few hours, I had several hits on an elk hair stimulator, but most of the fish were holding in deeper holes.  After tying every streamer I owned, I tried a local tie, Trow Minnow which seemed to be the ticket.  Martin on the other hand, stuck to the tried and true.  A gold 'Lil Cleo'.  Martin's motto seems to be, no matter your choice of equipment (spinning or fly rod) or what you're wearing....waders or work shorts and tennis shoes, success is what's most important.  We did not capture all the fish on video, but we figured we would give you a peak at our day on the beautiful Jackson River.


No comments:

Post a Comment